The Unpopular Opinions Tag was created by The Book Archer. I might have been tagged for this or I might have found it on my own… I can’t remember unfortunately. If you tagged me, let me know haha!
1. A popular book or series you didn’t like
Truthwitch. So much potential but it only skimmed the surface and I thought the characters were meh.
2. A book or series that everyone hates but you love
Between The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. It’s deliciously gothic and twisty, and I loved the writing style.
3. A love triangle where the MC ends up with the person you didn’t want them to end up with
I think I’m usually on the winning side of a love triangle because I’m having trouble coming up with something! I didn’t love the way Ruin & Rising ended. It seemed like they were going for some sort of Mockingjay ending but I didn’t buy it.
4. A popular book genre you rarely reach for
Gritty/realistic fiction. Too dark or upsetting for me usually.
5. A popular beloved character you didn’t like
Danaerys Targaryen from A Song of Ice and Fire– I find her tiring 85% of the time.
6. A popular author you can’t seem to get into
John Green. More like, I have no interest in even trying.
7. Popular trope you’re tired of seeing
Special snowflake girls who are “strong”, “different from other girls” (esp in fantasy), and “only have guy friends” (contemp). There are different kinds of strength and I want more variety. More Sansas mixed with the Aryas. More characters like Alanna who embody it all!
8. Popular series you have no interest in reading
The Mortal Instruments. Read book one and that was enough for me.
9. The saying goes, “The book is always better than the movie,” but what movie do you prefer more than the book?
Lord of the Rings. I love the movies SO MUCH and found the writing style of the books dull and too detailed.
Ready to disown me? Or do you agree with some of my choices? Sometimes being a black sheep is inevitable!